PWD Register


18. What are the customs regulations on foreign experts' bringing in and taking out luggage and daily necessities?

Foreign experts who come to China for long-term service are allowed to bring in luggage and necessities for personal use on condition that such items do not exceed reasonable quantities.

Foreign experts (including experts from Hong Kong SAR, Macao SAR and Taiwan Province ) or overseas Chinese experts can carry in duty-free teaching and research materials such as books, instruments, tools, samples and reagents if they are for personal use and do not exceed reasonable quantities. These are listed below:

(1) Books, newspapers, teaching notes, visual aids, etc;

(2) Samples, models and photographic slides;

(3) Small-types of instruments and meters (one set for each type) for analysis, measurement, inspection and observation in scientific research, experiments and teaching;

(4) Good strains of plants and seeds (only for the experts of agriculture and forestry to use in their research and teaching);

(5) Special materials like reagents, biological intermediates and products, medicines, isotopes, etc. needed in research, teaching and experiments of chemistry, biology and medicine.

The articles listed above should not be sold or transferred without the approval of customs. When they exceed the supervision time, applications can be made to customs for an extension. Foreign experts (with a visa for over one year) who come to China for the first time can bring in duty-free video cameras for home use, cameras, portable tape-recorders, CD players and lap tops, one set for each person.

After they obtain their residence permits, foreign experts can apply to the Beijing Administration Customs for the duty-free concessions by presenting their passports, Foreign Experts' Certificates, residence permits, Foreign Experts' ISD Cards and application forms. (Except for the 20 categories such as television set, video camera, video recorder, video player, visual equipment, air-conditioner, refrigerator, washing machine, camera, duplicator, program-controlled telephone exchanger, minicomputer, telephone, radio calling system, facsimile, electronic calculator, type-writer, word processor, furniture, lamps and seasoning).

On leaving China , foreign experts should apply to take out articles to the local customs, presenting their passports, Foreign Experts' Certificates, residence permits and application forms.



19. What are the customs regulations on the bringing in and taking out of gold, silver and products made thereof by foreign experts?
Foreign experts should declare to Customs any gold, or silver and articles made of them upon entering China . Such articles are allowed in free of duty if they are in reasonable quantities for personal use. If deemed to exceed reasonable quantities, they can be allowed in after duties are paid in accordance with regulations. The duty-free articles, once allowed in, are at the owners' free disposal. If these articles are to be taken out upon the experts' departure from China , the declaration forms filled in on arrival at the port of entry should be shown to the Customs officers. Those who have failed to declare to the Customs the amount of gold, silver and articles made of the and those who are carrying out more than they have declared on arrival, will not be allowed to carry the precious metals out. Foreign experts who have bought gold and silver ornaments with foreign currencies they have brought in can carry, ship and mail these articles out by presenting to the Customs the special receipts provided by sellers authorized to sell such articles.
20. What Chinese laws and regulations on foreign experts' bringing in animals, plants and their products?

According to the Chinese Quarantine Law on Importing and Exporting Animals and Plants, those wanting to bring in animals, plants, plant seeds and propagating material should apply for permission and undergo necessary examination procedures. Foreign experts intending to bring in animals and plants should entrust their Chinese employers or inviting organizations to help them complete such quarantine procedures before their arrival. What should be reminded here are the following items that are prohibited from being brought into China :

(1) Pathogen of animals or plants, insects, insects or living things that are harmful;

(2) Animals and plants from areas that have been infected by epidemic diseases;

(3) Dead bodies of animals;

(4) Soil.



21. What items are prohibited from entering China ?

The following items shall be prohibited from entering China :

(1) Various weapons, ammunition and explosives;

(2) Counterfeit money and negotiable securities;

(3) Publications, films, photos, gramophone records, movies, tapes, CD discs, software and other products that are considered harmful to Chinese politics, economics, culture and morality;

(4) Deadly poisons;

(5) Opium, morphine, heroin, marijuana and other addictive narcotics;

(6) Animals and plants that might carry dangerous germs or insects, and products of this kind.;

(7) Food, medicine and other products from areas affected by epidemic diseases that are considered harmful to human health and domestic animals;

(8) Chinese currency (except that handled in accord with the currency agreement).

22. What items are prohibited from exiting from China ?

The following items are prohibited from exiting from China :

(1) Items that are prohibited from being brought into the country;

(2) Manuscripts, publications, films, photos, gramophone records, movies, tapes, video tapes, CD discs and computer software that are connected with State secrets;

(3) Precious cultural and other relics that are prohibited from being exported;

(4) Precious animals and plants (including samples) that are in imminent danger of extinction, their seeds and materials for their propagation.



23. What are the regulations on foreign experts' taking cultural relics out of the country?

Foreign experts intending to take, consign or mail cultural relics (including paintings and calligraphic works by established modern artists who are deceased) out of the country should confirm that the articles have been appraised by the relevant cultural relics administrative departments. Such departments are now available in the port cities of Beijing , Tianjin , Shanghai and Guangzhou . When taking cultural relics out of the country, one has to declare to the Customs and show the appraisal marks on the relics as well as the "Permit for Relics Exiting from China " delivered by the concerned departments. Cultural relics that are not allowed to be taken, consigned or mailed out of the country should be registered at the Relics Exiting Appraisal Group and be returned to the owner, or be evaluated and bought by related departments, or be requisitionarily purchased if necessary.

The cultural relics that foreign experts have purchased in special shops appointed by the State Relics Administration Bureau with foreign currencies that have been brought into China can be taken out. However, declaration at the Customs is still necessary, and the Customs shall check the "Uniformed Invoice for Exporting Cultural Relics" and appraisal marks by relics administration departments.
Copyright©Link China Consulting.Ltd.Co