PWD Register

General Introduction to Qualifications Available
The "New China" began accepting overseas students in 1950. In the past few years, the number of foreign students in China has increased greatly. And the programmes available are diverse and cater to the different needs of foreign students, which include language students, undergraduates, postgraduates, doctorate students, research scholars, and those taking all kinds of short-term training courses.

Language trainees

Universities accept students who have achieved the minimum of a high school education for courses in the Chinese language. These courses usually last 1 or 2 years.

Students are given certificates after they complete their course. Students who do not speak Chinese and want to study further in China are usually required to complete a language-training course.


Undergraduate degrees usually require 4-5 years of study. International students have classes together with native Chinese students. In accordance with each student's past education, some classes of a degree course can be cancelled and some have to be added, that is credits may be given for prior learning. Students receive a Bachelor's degree after passing the necessary exams and completing a thesis.


Master's degrees are granted after 2-3 years of study. As well as written exams and a postgraduate thesis, oral examinations are also taken.

Doctorate students

Three years of study are needed to obtain a PhD.

Research scholars

Research is usually conducted independently by the student under the supervision of an assigned tutor. Any surveys, experiments, interviews, or visits that a research scholar has to make need to be arranged before hand and authorized.

Short-term training courses

Short-term courses are now offered in many areas such as Chinese literature, calligraphy, economics, architecture, Chinese law, traditional Chinese medicine, art, and sports. Courses are offered during the holidays as well as during the terms.
Foreign students are encouraged to continue their studies and obtain Master's or doctoral degrees in China's universities, and those who have graduated in China are welcome to return for further education.

Costs for Self-Supporting Students

The following table is only a rough guide to expenses for self-supporting foreign students. Costs vary from university to university as well as over time. For more detailed and up-to-date information, please consult the admission brochures of each institution.

Tuition fee for arts subjects

Sorts of Foreign Students

Fee Standard (per person per year)

Undergraduates, Chinese-language trainees

US $1,700-3,200


US $2,200-3,700

Doctorate students

US $2,700-4,200

Short-term students

US $350-600 per month

Tuition fee for science, technology, agriculture, medicine, sports, art

Undergraduates, common trainees

US $1,800-6,400


US $2,600-7,400

Doctorate students

US $2,900-8,400

Short-term students

US $350-1,200

Registration fee

US $50-100


US $2-3 per person (in a shared room with a public toilet and bathroom). Accommodation of a higher standard is often available, although at greater expense.



US $30-50 for arts subjects, a little bit more for sciences, agronomy, medicine, sports and art.

Canteen food

US $40-60 per person per month for foreign student dining halls; US $20-30 per person per month for Chinese student dining halls.
Copyright©Link China Consulting.Ltd.Co